The Perth City Link (PCL) project aims to reconnect the Perth CBD and the Northbridge entertainment precinct for the first time in 100 years, by:
• Sinking the Fremantle Line between William Street and Lake/King Streets;
• Upgrading Perth Station and ensuring platform capacity for future growth;
• Linking Perth Station and Perth Underground with a pedestrian underpass;
• Replacing Wellington Street Bus Station with a new underground facility.
TRACK PM ROLE
Track PM provided full project management services to deliver the PCL Forward Works for rail and bus components of the Project. The decision to manage internally was a key risk mitigation for the client, given the sensitive and complex nature of the enabling works.
• Tight program within which to manage the extent of works;
• Working in an operating rail environment with running trains and a live electrical overhead traction system;
• Working in a brownfields site with uncharted underground services;
• Working adjacent to the movement of passengers and the public;
• Managing the impact of changes to the operating system.
• Rail component completed within time required, without excessive disruption to passenger operations. Bus project 80% complete.
• New optic fibre cabling, cable containment and support hardware, with accurate services records now in place.
• Modernisation and rationalisation of rail infrastructure.
Track PM implemented a change management approach; operator, maintenance and contractor requirements were proactively anticipated early and planned for during works. Training, budgeting and user requirements were thoroughly understood before handover phase. This ensures new assets can be properly and cost effectively maintained and operated by the PTA over the long-term.
Client: Public Transport Authority of Western Australia (PTA WA)
Type: Rail and bus infrastructure
Date: 2012 – 2014
Role: Project management
Value: Rail = $30 million, Bus = $250 million